Welcome Message

When Matthew was diagnosed with testicular cancer in 2008 we were given a small insight into the experiences of cancer patients in the UK and the work of the Royal Marsden. His rapid and caring treatment in the hands of Kingston Hospital and the Royal Marsden Hospital meant that just ten weeks after his initial diagnosis his treatment was complete and confirmed as a success.



We were very lucky.



Our milestone 10th Wedding Anniversay gave us the chance to do something memorable together and raise some money to make a difference to other people's lives.



You can get involved too ... at our Route2Roots JustGiving site.


Tuesday 13 July 2010

Hi Doc, one of my testicles is swollen.

Swollen, that's what I thought. I couldn't feel any lumps or bumps and to me it felt the same shape as the other one, but one of them was definitely bigger than the other, and probably bigger than it should be. I say probably because a size differential is normal and that makes it difficult to know whether there's a real problem or not. So how should you decide? Of course, the answer is that you don't, instead you go along to the GP and ask them. Now I would love to say that that is exactly what I did, but it isn't. The details of my faffing around are for another time but with hindsight let me say that the correct action is to go to the GP right away and present the problem to a trained professional.

The first 5 minutes of my GP appointment saw me squirming with embarassment as I completely failed to see that questions about my "lifestyle" were his way of asking if I might have an STD, but once we got that one out of the way we got to the point where we agreed a physical examination was going to be necessary. More embarassment as I get undressed but 30 seconds later the GP has called it cancer.

There are four stages to testicular cancer and the stages relate to how far the cancer has spread. In stage one the cancer is contained with the testicle and if caught at this point the treatment is simple and your chances of survival are greater than 90%. Wait until stage four and the cancer will have spread through your lymph system, into your lungs and beyond. By now your chances are less than 50% and the treatment will be prolonged and severe.

So an early diagnosis is crucial to a successful outcome and the screening test could not be any easier. There's no need for doctors, appointments or blood tests, you just need to get your hands on your bollocks and see how they feel. So if you're a bloke give them a check the next time you're in the shower and if you're a wife/girlfriend/partner make sure that he checks them. Its such a simple thing and yet it can make such a difference, so ladies, maybe, just this once its OK to nag.

The MacMillan website is a great place for cancer information and it has sections on testicular cancer and how to examine yourself.

And finally, here is the last ever picture of my left testicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment