Welcome Message

When Matthew was diagnosed with testicular cancer in 2008 we were given a small insight into the experiences of cancer patients in the UK and the work of the Royal Marsden. His rapid and caring treatment in the hands of Kingston Hospital and the Royal Marsden Hospital meant that just ten weeks after his initial diagnosis his treatment was complete and confirmed as a success.



We were very lucky.



Our milestone 10th Wedding Anniversay gave us the chance to do something memorable together and raise some money to make a difference to other people's lives.



You can get involved too ... at our Route2Roots JustGiving site.


Thursday 5 August 2010

A bonus root

Although not on the official itinerary we passed through my birthplace today, Shepton Mallet. I left when I was 10 years old and haven't been back since so I was really looking forward to seeing our old house and my first school.

Seeing our old house was particularly cool as it meant we had to cycle down the road where I first learnt to ride a bike.

Finding my old school was a bit harder as I wasn't so sure where it was. We pottered slowly down a lane until we came across a building that had the same shape as the one I remembered, but was only about half the size and was clearly not a school any more. There was, however, a lovely lady in the old playground who happily confirmed that we were in the right place and that they had converted the school into their home, some 10 years ago. The change in size was just the difference in perspective that thirty years of growing up brings.





No comments:

Post a Comment